Any excuse to eat salad without the greens, right? I’m so down. As the weather is getting warmer and we’re often opting to lighten our meals, this chickpea, feta and parsley salad making it as the new “it” salad at the office. I prepared it for the first time this week and before I could even finish eating the salad, I had the entire office asking me for the recipe!
It’s the feta, the garlic and the herbs that make this delightful pierce of nourishment come to life! The sauteed onions and garlic deliver an almost buttery savoriness to the salad while the pickling taste of lemon juice leaves you feeling fresh and bright this summer. Not to mention that lemon juice is also great for detoxifying your body — so you really can’t go wrong with this recipe. The starchy chickpeas are also well balanced with sharp and salty feta that adds a cheesy layer to the chickpeas. It gives the recipe that creamy dressing feel we all crave for and if you are a cheese lover like I am, it’ll be hard to resist this salad.
There are so many other things you can add to this recipe based on your preferences too – you can even add corn or diced tomatoes. This chickpea, feta and parsley salad is easy to assemble and once you’re done, this salad is the perfect dish to fill you up. You can prepare the salad the night before school or work, or use it as a great introduction to guests at any summer event. So if you’re tired of eating those leafy salad greens like I am, take a try at this healthy alternative 😉
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- Pinch red chili flakes
- 1 (400g) tin of chickpeas
- 2 spring onions, chopped (green part only)
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ juice of lemon
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) feta
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Using skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil and cook the onion until it’s a golden brown colour.
- Add the garlic and chili flakes and cook until the garlic is fragrant. Remove from heat and allow to cool so it won’t melt the feta when we mix it in later.
- Meanwhile, drain the chickpeas, rinse them and place in a bowl. Using your hands, crumble the feta and add to bowl. Mix in spring onion, parsley and lemon juice until evenly combined.
- Add the cooled onion and garlic mixture and remaining oil until even blended. Top with salt & pepper to taste and voila – ready to serve!
- For any leftovers, place in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.