#feelingsad 🙁 That moment when: you come home from work and realize you’re out of groceries…. If you need a speedy and satisfying meal, this creamy chicken and broccoli bowtie pasta combines your pantry staples for an easy dinner you’re sure to feel great about!
We’ve all been there before; you come home to realize there’s no food in the fridge. After a long day, the only thing you want is an “easy way” out to a simple, yet delicious meal, without doing any more work. You sift through the back of your pantry and dig through the cupboards; you disorganize everything in your kitchen hoping to find anything you can throw together and call a meal. Well my friends, this recipe will do just that for you.
The sauce in this recipe combines all the basic ingredients from your kitchen: flour, butter, cheese and milk, and is the main element that ties this simple yet delicious meal together. In the culinary profession, the preparation of sauce usually requires care, precision and a strong methodology to give it that distinguishing character. But as with most aspect of cooking, the key to success here is to know the basic ingredients so you can apply this practice anytime you need to whip something up in less than 20 minutes. You’ll love how the sauce cooks up thick and rich and look forward to the chicken and broccoli give it that savoury punch 😉
Throw your pantry staples into a saucepan and bring to a boil. You’ll want to keep mixing the sauce with a whisk every couple of minutes until it becomes rich and creamy in texture. In the meantime, boil the noodles, broccoli and cook the chicken. When everything is ready, you can fold the ingredients onto a plate and pour the sauce over.
Let sit for 1 minute to cool before eating and enjoy as the velvet-y cheese sauce fills each dent in the bowties. When you take your first bite, relish the boneless chicken complimenting the cheese sauce and admire the pop of fresh the broccoli adds to the dish. The aroma of the sauce is so tempting and luscious in texture you’ll need to resist the temptation to eat voraciously. So savour each bite, dinner is served! #feelinghappy 🙂
- 1½ whole wheat bowtie pasta, dry
- ½ cup cooked chicken breast and diced into small bite sized pieces
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1/12 cups milk
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons of whole-wheat flour
- pinch of onion powder (optional)
- pinch of garlic powder (optional)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Boil the pasta according to the directions on the package and add in the broccoli during last 3 - 4 minutes of boiling the pasta. Drain well and keep ¼ cup pasta water, just in case you want to thin pasta sauce later.
- Meanwhile, in a pot melt butter over medium heat then stir in the flour. Cook the mixture and stir constantly for 1 minute. While whisking the sauce, slowly add in the milk, then season with onion powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Increase the heat to medium-high, stirring constantly and bringing it to a boil for thickness. Remove from heat and allow cooling for 1 minute before adding in the cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- Add drained pasta, broccoli and chicken and toss to evenly coat. As it sits it will thicken (and if it’s too thick, use the water you reserved earlier to thin it).
- Serve with a nice toast and enjoy!
Inspired by: Cooking Classy